Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

For our anniversary yesterday I decided I would be all domestic-like.
I made coconut fried shrimp and a wedding cake. That's right.
A wedding cake.
Not a huge 4 tier, flowers and ribbons kind- but a wedding cake no less.

My sweet momma made our "real" wedding cake and it was awesome! Check it out.
The caterer cracked it a little while they were setting it up but you can't really tell and it didn't really matter. It still tasted amazing!

P.S. Please ignore the gigantic picture of me on the table.This picture is for you to see the cake. You're allowed to have huge pictures of yourself blown up and put on your table at your own wedding.  

Momma also made the groom's cake. Check it out.

Anyway. How did I come about making a wedding cake yesterday?

It all started last week when I was home. My momma and I started talking about my awesome wedding. Then I started talking about how good the wedding cake was and I started wishing I could have another piece of it. And then my stomach growled.
Then, I casually played with the thought of maybe even trying to make some sort of cake for our anniversary.
Next thing I know she's pulling out recipes and bottles of almond flavoring and butter flavoring. 
I looked at her a little crazy.
Me... make a wedding cake?

Turns out... the secret trick to that delicious wedding cake was this little box right here.

Obviously, you add a few things and leave out a few things and make your own "wedding cake" frosting but really? A wedding cake starts with a plain ole' cake mix? Who knew?

I can't use the stuff in that box above anymore so I used this.
And honestly ya'll it was just as delicious!
So. That's how it came about. Want to see how it turned out?


Naturally, I had to add a pink flower.

Now. I knew my momma was talented at making and decorating cakes but I have even more of an appreciation since-someone- decided she wanted dots all over her huge wedding cake. 
This little cake wasn't even as big as the top layer of the real cake and the dots took forever and don't even really look great.

Anyway. It looked cute and tasted really good and was a fun thing for me to do on our anniversary. 

Best part of all was that I could eat a piece. The last three weddings I've attended I just looked at the cake and convinced myself that it probably wasn't all that great and definitely wasn't worth getting sick.

Yesterday, I got to make my cake and eat it too.



Note:
Aren't you proud of me for using not one-but two- classic cake references all in one post?

No comments:

Post a Comment