Monday, January 17, 2011

Chess Pie?

Have you ever heard of a Chess Pie?
(L.R.L...help me out here.)

Have you? Me neither.

Last night a friend (from TN) in my small group brought it for dessert. I sort of got harassed kidded since I have never in my life heard of it. 

I believe her exact words were, "You're from Arkansas and you've never made it? You've never heard of Chess Pie? What? Really?" 

I was flat out stunned. Being from Arkansas is something I enjoy.
(Yes, I'm serious. Especially around these city folks in Atlanta.)
I kinda like being one of the southern ones and I feel like I have some good recipes up my sleeve for whenever I might need them.

The pie looked delicious and it looked "familiar." I know I've seen it at potlucks and things like that back home but I sure can't recall the name coming up in conversations with my momma or grandma or anybody. I even took a quick peek through some cookbooks tonight and its nowhere to be found. 

My good man loved it so I plan on making it sometime soon. All of the ingredients (except the crust, of course) are already gluten free so it wont be hard to tweek it so I can eat it. I'm pretty excited to try it and see what all of the hoopla is all about.

My question to you is this... am I just really behind the times?
 
Please let me know. I'm feeling very un-Southern  and I don't like it. 

3 comments:

  1. After a google search, It sounds nasty, that alone is why we never heard of it. Glad it not though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrett White likes Dadio's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never EVER heard of a chess pie. Ever. And I, like you, am a proud southern belle. It sounds like Yankee trickery to me.

    ReplyDelete