Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy 100 Days!

The 100th Day of School is a big deal in the elementary world. Today was our "100th day" and we had a big time! I'm kicking myself because I didn't get any pictures. I've got to get better about taking my camera up there. Maybe soon!
I had a big colorful sign hanging over the door that said "Happy 100 Days" and the girls just grinned and grinned as they came in. I have some friends back home in AR that started school a little bit later than we did and I thought you might like a 100th Day idea. 
I took colored label dots like this
and randomly numbered them 1-100 and stuck them all around the room. 

I made three versions of a Number Grid (because I wanted them to all have the same font and look sort of similar) and passed them out to the kiddos as needed.  
  My little loves that are still struggling a bit with their number order got one that was already filled in. 

Most of the girls had one that was partially filled in like this:
and then some of the girls had a blank grid. This was good for the kids that really understand the patterns and those who always finish everything super quick!


They all put their Number Grid on their clipboard and went all around the room to find the numbers. When they found one in the room, they found it on their grid and colored it the same color as the dot. 
 So if they found "5" and it was written on a green dot they colored the "5" on their Number Grid green. Make sense?
The kids LOVED it! They were so focused and excited to find the numbers. We worked on it for a long time and I couldn't believe how well they were working together and truly having fun as they worked with those numbers. 
This year really seems to be flying by lately which is completely fine with me. :)

Happy 100 Days!

2 comments:

  1. Very neat idea. Ours is next Monday (I think the other kids in our school have theirs Thursday?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I bet they had so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete